CRETA TO RUN
30 september - 7 october
NB Creta to Run | 30 september - 7 october 2023
What is Creta to Run ?
A sport holiday in the heart of the Mediterranean culture and nature: Crete.
A true natural paradise, rich in mountains, olive trees forests, wild shores and untouched sea. A perfect environment for sport activities: trail running, mountain bike, trekking and even ski-touring during the beautiful Cretan winter.
But Crete is also a land with a thousand-year old history and culture. Here the Minoan and Greek civilizations gave birth to incredible treasures such as Festos and Cnossos palaces and orginiated some of the most ancient and popular myths in Greek history and human culture, such as Minos and the Minotaur, Dedalus and Icarus.
The program combines a week long holiday with a running event 5 days long in some of the most beautiful locations of the island. Accommodations are in double rooms for 6 days, including a car rental, necessary for moving around in Crete.
The formula is a stage race: five different routes, exclusively on dust roads or single trails for a total of km 60 in 5 stages. The half marathon will be the longest distance.
2 categories admitted, with same services and treatment:
– Running, with timing and final rank. Max 60 runners.
– Walkers non-competitive category, no timing and no rank. Max 20 walkers.
Due to safety and race control, for the walkers is MANDATORYto walk at least until runners overtake them: after that running is possible.
Same route for all, but Walkers will start 30 minutes in advance. In the half marathon Walkers will walk only 10 km instead of 21.1.
For walkers race registration is MANDATORY.
Possible escorts non registered in the program won’t be admitted in the walkers’ group. Both categories will bear the bib number, will be assisted and covered by an insurance.
HIGHLY RECCOMENDEDfor all NB Creta Trail 21.1 participants is running with a water supply of at least 50 cc. (bottle or Camelbak).
NOTES: Total distance is approximately 60 km to run in 5 days. Thursday will be a rest day; the route is mostly off road and well marked. Water points will be set only at the finish line, excpet for the 3rd stage (12 km) with a half-distance water point, and for the 5th, 21 km stage (NB Creta Trail 21.1) where 3 water points will be organized.
For respect towards the regularly registered participants, admission to the event is permitted only to runners/walkers wearing the bib number
Possible escorts without bib number, are asked not to use race courses during the competition. In any case, all services before, during and after the race are exclusively reserved to clients bearing the bib number.
For this race purchasing the simple bib number IS NOT ALLOWED .
The hotel is l’Alpiclub Cactus Beach, a nice resort located in Stalidas, 3 km from Xersonissos and 25 km from Iraklion airport Buffet main restaurant offers weekly italian and greek dinner Thera are also a tavern, one à la carte restaurant, a snack and lobby bar, swimming pool and beach bar. The beach is at a short walk distance from the hotel.
Accommodation at Alpiclub Cactus Beach****, is with formula ALPICLUB ALL INCLUSIVE:
- full board with buffet at the main restaurant with local beverages at meals: plain water, local wine, draft beer, soft drinks
- unlimited local non-alcoholic and alcoholic dirks, American conffe, tea.
- a selection of snacks
- afternoon break with american coffe and snacks.
- home made ice cream
- italian chef
- free internet low speed Wi-Fi all over the resort
- Alpitour assistance
FLIGHTS AND TRANSFERS
Direct flights from Milan Malpensa, Verona and Rome are organized, with transfers to/from the hotel.
In the program is already included the rental of a A category car every 2 people. Car is the best way to explore the island.
For single room guests is mandatory to rent a single-use car (with supplement). Driving license is mandatory.
Stages and distances shown in the programme are purely tentative. Descriptions and details will be communicated after the final scouting that will take place in spring 2023.
- What documents I need ? I.D. or passport
- Do I need vaccinations ? No
- What is official currency in Crete ? Euro
- Is own SIM working in Crete ? Yes
- Do I need a driving license ? Yes
- Where is Crete located? It’s 95 km from continental Greece, on the border between del Aegean and Lybian seas. Many small islands surround Crete, between them Gozzo, the southernmost territory of physical Europe.
- What is the official language ? Greeek
- In which part the event take place ? The race area is located in the eastern part of Crete, between Stalidas and Aghios Nikolaos.
- How’s climate ? Pretty hot but mildly windy.
- How are the temperatures? In rhe event period, 25°-28° C
- Which time zone ? GMT +1
- How is the terrain ? The terrain si pretty much variated, depending on the stage. Compact ground pistes/trails change alternatively to rocky terrain sections and sandy stretches.
- What animals is possible to find ? Any dangerous animal.
- What is the compulsory equipment ? None
- How is the itinerary marked ? With ribbons, carton boards and hi-visibility flags.
- How are the routes ? Mostly off road.
- How do I manage personal trash ? Litter is strongly prohibited: trash must be carried to water points or finish line.
- What is served in the refreshment points ? Water, drinks, tea, biscuits, fruit.
- Does the cell phone pick up along the way? Yes, almost everywhere.
- Do I need a medical certificate ? Yes
- Is it advisable to have a personal insurance ? Yes
- Is there Zitoway staff along the routes ? Yes, several vehicles, including the medical one, patrol the race.
- In case of bad weather, will the race take place ? Yes
For respect towards the regularly registered participants, admission to the event is permitted only to runners/walkers wearing the bib number; possible escorts will be asked no to use the race routes during the event. In any case, all services before, during and after the event are reserved only to the bib number wearing participants.
- What kind of accommodation is planned ? The hotel is Alpiclub Cactus Beach, a nice resort located in Stalida, 3 km from Xersonissos and 25 km from Iraklion airport. It’s built to resemble a small greek village, perfectly integrated in Stalidas, typical Cretan village. Great cuisine and attention to customers are joined to a traditional, informal atmosphere.
Zitoway clients will wear a bracelet allowing them to enjoy the all inclusive services.
- Is there internet in the rooms ? Yes
- Which plug (adapter) do I need to charge my devices in the lodge? European plugs
- What is served as meals ? The buffet restaurant will offer a wide selection of meals: meat, fish, pasta, rice, vegetables, bread, pizza, cheese and desserts.
- I have nutritional special need, what do I do ? Any special nutritional requirement must be communicated to Born2Run agency.
- What kind of shoes are more suitable for the race ? The terrain is mostly compact and rocky, with sections to run along cliffs that can be tricky. Structured, well-built shoes are surely advised, to prevent ankles injuries.
- And what socks ? Technical socks with variated thickness or single-toes socks are advisable.
- What do I put in my Emergency Kit ? Wide range antibiothic, ant-diarroea, antipyretic, pain killers (ibuprofen). A medical h24 assistance is provided.
- Are there mosquitos or other insects ? No